That one question we are asked by healthcare professionals, friends, family and nosy neighbours....

Monday, 20 August 2012

Grant me...

the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Some things in life we are able to work at in order to achieve what we desire. Others we must simply accept the way they are. This however is often much easier said than done. I have found that with most of my key relationships I have sometimes lacked the wisdom to recognise what I can and cannot change and struggled to accept this.

The mental battle I have endured since early childhood with regard to my relationship with my mother is arguably the hardest. Although I am sure she loves me in her own way she has never been the mum that I so badly wanted and needed. Many psychologists later I have learnt that I must accept she is the way she is and I cannot change her. Knowing this certainly doesn't make dealing with the feelings of being unloved, unwanted and misunderstood any easier. 

Then there are the physical things I cannot change, my height, my nose, my long-term illness - Fibromyalgia. Not I, the doctor nor the professor can take away the pain and all that comes with it. Accepting that you have a long term health condition, whatever it may be, is the most important step to managing your day to day life. You must learn your limits whether that be how far you walk, what foods you eat or what time you take your medication. This is not easy, you feel as though your life has become a shadow of its former self. I felt I had been given a life sentence. After lots of crying and asking "Why me?" I knew there was only one thing I could do, accept it. No amount of crying, anger or denial was going to change it. I have Fibromyalgia, yes it is a part of my life but I will not allow myself to be consumed by it.

Then there is the issue with William, how much of this I care to divulge with my lovely readers I am not sure yet. It is still rather raw and I am still trying to make some sense of it in my own mind. However I'm a strong believer in Karma and that good always prevails evil.

Being able to accept situations and move forward is a key skill in life.

What have you had to accept that you cannot change? Or are you struggling to do this?

Take care for now

Marie x

No comments:

Post a Comment